Examples of Success Criterion 1.4.8
Kazuhito Kidachi
2018-11-28 04:00:46 UTC
Hello,

I would like to ask about Example section of "Understanding SC 1.4.8".

https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/visual-audio-contrast-visual-presentation.html#visual-audio-contrast-visual-presentation-examples-head

As an example of glyphs, there is a Japanese character of "さ". I really
don't know why the character has been chosen, my native language is
Japanese though.

Best,

Kazuhito
--
Kazuhito Kidachi
mailto:***@gmail.com
Alastair Campbell
2018-11-28 14:19:36 UTC
Hi Kazuhito,
As an example of glyphs, there is a Japanese character of "さ". I really don't know why the character has been chosen, my native language is Japanese though.
I assume it is simply a ‘glyph’, i.e. a character/symbol. The criteria talks about “characters or glyphs”, so it is providing examples of characters and glyphs.

Which character isn’t particularly important, it is making the point that it extends beyond the latin based alphabet.

Did it impact your understanding of the criteria?

-Alastair
Kazuhito Kidachi
2018-11-28 14:53:11 UTC
Hi Alastair,

Thank you for the explanation.
Post by Alastair Campbell
Did it impact your understanding of the criteria?
If the Hiragana character of "さ" is just an example of glyphs and there is
no special reason why "さ" has been chosen, then I think I get it.

Best,

Kazuhito
--
Kazuhito Kidachi
mailto:***@gmail.com
Pyatt, Elizabeth J
2018-11-28 14:46:38 UTC
Kazuhito:

To expand on what Alistair Campbell said, a glyph refers to single written characters. In Western alphabets, they include single letters like A (the first letter of the Western alphabet. The arrow is a glyph which is also a non-phonetic symbol.

In Japanese, a glyph would include a single kanji character or a single syllabary character from the HIragana/Katakana set as well as roman letters, technical symbols and emojis.

I would also be curious if either the あ (hiragana A) or a kanji character would be clearer.

Hope this helps.

Elizabeth
Post by Kazuhito Kidachi
Hello,
I would like to ask about Example section of "Understanding SC 1.4.8".
https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/visual-audio-contrast-visual-presentation.html#visual-audio-contrast-visual-presentation-examples-head
As an example of glyphs, there is a Japanese character of "さ". I really don't know why the character has been chosen, my native language is Japanese though.
Best,
Kazuhito
--
Kazuhito Kidachi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Elizabeth J. Pyatt, Ph.D.
Accessibility IT Consultant
Teaching and Learning with Technology
Penn State University
***@psu.edu, (814) 865-0805 or (814) 865-2030 (Main Office)

The 300 Building, 112
304 West College Avenue
State College, P
David Woolley
2018-11-28 14:57:44 UTC
Post by Pyatt, Elizabeth J
To expand on what Alistair Campbell said, a glyph refers to single written characters. In Western alphabets, they include single letters like A (the first letter of the Western alphabet. The arrow is a glyph which is also a non-phonetic symbol.
A glyph can represent more than one character. "ffi" is often one glyph
in Western fonts. I'm not sure if the current standard is using it in
this sense, or simply as a synonym for character.
Kazuhito Kidachi
2018-11-28 15:03:37 UTC
Hello Elizabeth,

Thank you for the clarifying.
Post by Pyatt, Elizabeth J
In Japanese, a glyph would include a single kanji character or a single
syllabary character from the HIragana/Katakana set as well as roman
letters, technical symbols and emojis.
That might be the reason why I wondered. Japanese contains several types of
glyph, including Hiragana, Katakana and Kanji characters - but in the
example, only "さ" of Hiragana shows up, so.

Best,

Kazuhito
--
Kazuhito Kidachi
mailto:***@gmail.com
Makoto Ueki
2018-11-29 17:33:16 UTC
Hi Kazuhito,
Post by Kazuhito Kidachi
If the Hiragana character of "さ" is just an example of glyphs and there
is no special reason why "さ" has been chosen, then I think I get it..

That's it :-)

I was participating in the WCAG WG on behalf of JIS (Japanese Industrial
Standard) working group to harmonize JIS X 8341-3 with WCAG 2.0. JIS WG was
looking for an appropriate Japanese word for "glyphs" while we were
translating the working draft of WCAG 2.0 into Japanese. As far as I
remember; JIS WG asked a question to WCAG WG "What kind of characters do
"glyphs" include in this context?". And we confirmed that the "glyphs"
include Hiragana characters as well as Katakana, Kanji, etc.

I don't remember why we chose "さ". But it was okay if it was "あ", "ア", "亜"
or whatever. It was just an example of Japanese characters. There was no
particular reason for "さ".

Cheers,
Makoto
Kazuhito Kidachi
Kazuhito Kidachi
2018-11-29 23:42:10 UTC
Hello Ueki-san,

Now I completely understood.
Post by Makoto Ueki
I don't remember why we chose "さ". But it was okay if it was "あ", "ア", "亜"
or whatever. It was just an example of Japanese characters. There was no
particular reason for "さ".
If all those "あ", "ア" and "亜" are carried as examples, that would be
better, since "あ" is the first letter of the Japanese (kana) syllabary and
it shares the same pronunciation with "ア" and "亜", IMHO

Best,

Kazuhito
--
Kazuhito Kidachi