Accessible virtual tour
Jessica Korkue
2018-09-27 16:29:11 UTC
Good afternoon all,
Can anyone please provide any guidance on what is required to make a virtual tour accessible? I realize the interface must be, but what about the imagery presented as one “moves” through the space?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jessica
Charles 'chaals' (McCathie) Nevile
2018-09-28 09:34:36 UTC
On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 18:29:11 +0200, Jessica Korkue =
Post by Jessica Korkue
Good afternoon all,
Can anyone please provide any guidance on what is required to make a =
virtual tour accessible? I realize the interface must be, but >what =
about the imagery presented as one =E2=80=9Cmoves=E2=80=9D through the=
space?
Same as any other imagery:
- alternatives that don't require vision
- dealing with needs for high contrast, / colour differentiation, low =

visual acuity, minimise distracting motion, etc.
- if you provide audio explanations, making relevant sign language as we=
ll =

as text versions available is a good thing... (and if you don't have the=
m, =

you should think about whether they will help people understand where th=
ey =

are and what they can "see".

It's also important to think about how people figure out where they are =
- =

if you rely on visual cues as feedback for people moving around, there i=
s =

going to be a problem. There are a few ways to deal with this - you can =
=

provide actual landmarks so people can move from spot to spot, or you ca=
n =

provide other kinds of feedback so people know what is around them - for=
=

inspriation think 1980s-style text-only "adventure games" and "MUD"s =

(Multi-User Dungeons), or "choose your own adventure" books done with =

modern tools.

cheers

Chaals