aria-function details
Greg Gay
2018-09-11 15:22:44 UTC
All,

I came across "aria-function" being used in the COGA techniques, while I
was trying to understand SC 1.3.6 Indentify Purpose in WCAG 2.1.

https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/techniques/index.html

I'm not finding a reference to the attribute anywhere in the WAI-ARIA specs.

Is there a formal description yet, or one coming together, that details
how aria-function should be used?

Is there support yet in any browsers/AT etc. we can use to test
implementations?

There's also a few other unfamiliar WAI-ARIA attributes in the COGA
draft, I'm not finding details for:

* aria-feedback
* aria-explain
* aria-numberfree

Assistance much appreciated...

greg
Nick Beranek
2018-09-11 16:16:17 UTC
Hi Greg,

I notice that the language surrounding the aria-function attribute says
words like, "will" (e.g. "one technique will be to use"), "example", and
"under development". Given that these attributes are not a part of WAI-ARIA
1.1, I suspect that these are proposals for new ARIA attributes to assist
persons with cognitive disabilities.

Nick
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rawgit.com_w3c_coga_master_techniques_index.html&d=DwMCaQ&c=pLULRYW__RtkwsQUPxJVDGboCTdgji3AcHNJU0BpTJE&r=dC_UMEUmMt99VWyKrKPEqR3CTKGfGj3o3ZNFy9eOtyTH5I1FN_SWdh0fxgPpm-RI&m=5SMvDFZAg9W2MjOYR7KvMk_feYtWl_dH7oLElmEYBPE&s=DgZIQiBzUgcVbrw9P4MMkLF6wsR5_-2KXEmK6WpVWpI&e=>
--
Nick Beranek
Accessibility Tech Lead

Greg Gay
2018-09-11 17:34:45 UTC
Thx Casey and Nick,

In terms of Sufficient Techniques for SC 1.3.6 then, are there any
others besides using ARIA landmarks?

What should we be suggesting in terms of adaptive interfaces and
personalization for Identifying Purpose, that can actually be
implemented today in some standardized way?

Maybe Lisa or Michael can chime in.

greg
Hey Greg,
Looks like a mistake in an early draft, according to this Github issue
<https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/issues/33>, and
should be "aui-function" to indicate its theoretical status. The
editor's note from a related document
<https://w3c.github.io/personalization-semantics/content/index.html>
Personalization semantics defines a set of properties and values
to annotate content. The specific mechanism to apply these
properties to content has not been decided. Several approaches are
under consideration
<https://github.com/w3c/personalization-semantics/wiki/Comparison-of-ways-to-use-vocabulary-in-content> and
future drafts will show progress. To help with understanding of
the properties, this document provides many examples of
personalization semantics applied to content, which show
attributes beginning with the prefix "aui-". /This has not been
decided as the chosen approach/, but the simplicity supports
understanding of the examples.
Casey
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__rawgit.com_w3c_coga_master_techniques_index.html&d=DwMCaQ&c=pLULRYW__RtkwsQUPxJVDGboCTdgji3AcHNJU0BpTJE&r=a2IkSvJwyjZXKucTfiFA6y2OFiimV_7eb-gf0jOlneM&m=jC1govRz-IDiYBMKtzhHvLbZgMjl4zlFBwk-0SkLpho&s=yxEatR3iVe8-wM809VBSiASvKByUg0ujbx8-rhYI-vg&e=>
I'm not finding a reference to the attribute anywhere in the WAI-ARIA specs.
Is there a formal description yet, or one coming together, that
details how aria-function should be used?
Is there support yet in any browsers/AT etc. we can use to test
implementations?
There's also a few other unfamiliar WAI-ARIA attributes in the
* aria-feedback
* aria-explain
* aria-numberfree
Assistance much appreciated...